Monday, August 20, 2007

Wild price swings?

It seems that no matter where I look people are talking about how volatile the markets are. Whether it is on TV or on someones blog, they usually say the same thing. It usually goes something like this, "I don't know about you guys, but these daily price swings are the largest that I've ever seen in my career". Such statements always struck me as strange so I decided to check the charts.

What I have plotted below are the daily percentage differences between the high and low of each major index. Low and behold, I found that the recent daily price swings are not even close to the days of the late 90's and most recent bear market. I have a yellow line pointing out the recent swings.

So are these people as new to the market as I am or do they have extremely short memories?







No comments: